How to wear your seat belt correctly when you are pregnant
by Nidha Narrandes
December 1, 2020
There is no such thing as a comfortable position when you are heavily pregnant. Not when you are standing, sitting, bathing, eating and least of all when you are driving. Even though it might be a more comfortable option to go without the seat belt, it is far more dangerous for both you and your unborn baby. Yes, there is a right way of wearing a seat belt when you are pregnant, one that is least harmful to the baby and more comfortable for you, and here’s how…– Sit back into the seat as comfortably as possible. Adjust the height of the seat and positions until you find a position that suits you.
– The lap-belt part of the restraint should be placed snugly under your abdomen and across your upper thighs.
– Never ever place the lap-belt above or on your belly.
– Place the shoulder-belt over your collar bone so it sits between your breasts and does not hurt your neck in case of an accident.
– You should never place the shoulder-belt behind your shoulder or under your arm.
– If you have a car with an airbag, make sure you sit as far back as practical from the direct line of the airbag.
– Wear the seat belt as tight as possible, so the impact is absorbed by your body’s frame in an accident.