The Corolla name has a rich and diverse history spanning 12 generations, having racked up over 50 million global sales – making it one of the most successful vehicle model ranges ever.
It originally spawned as a compact city car in 1966, the Corolla has continued to evolve in line with the needs of the times and of the regions, it is sold in. According to Motorpress, the Corolla Cross represents the first foray into the crossover/SUV space and combines the respected core-product characteristics Corolla is known for, with a new body shape that offers enhanced function and utility.
The Corolla Cross also carries particular significance for South Africa, as the model is locally produced in Toyota’s long-running Prospecton Plant in Durban. The Cross thus continues the legacy of producing Corollas in Mzansi, making it #ProudlySouthAfrican.
Securing the manufacturing contract for this model, carries considerable importance – having a direct impact on job creation, industry viability and economic support for not only South Africa, but Africa as a whole. Reinforcing this, President Cyril Ramaphosa officially opened and endorsed the Corolla Cross production line on 26 October 2021.
Underpinning the ‘Cross’ is Toyota’s acclaimed TNGA platform. TNGA stands for Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) and represents a modular platform, capable of underpinning hatch, sedan and SUV model ranges as seen in C-HR, Prius, RAV4 and 12th-generation Corolla models.
- TNGA Platform (GA-C)
- Excellent ride quality without compromising agility
- Low NVH-levels
- Contributes to spacious cabin and class-leading luggage capacity
- Excellent visibility and cabin ergonomics
- Low centre of gravity – fundamental to securing a more engaging driving position and more responsive and precise handling with less body roll
- McPherson front suspension design
- Torsion beam rear suspension for enhanced packaging and excellent ride comfort
The Corolla Cross fuses the striking design language of the Corolla Sedan and Hatch models with a SUV-shape to provide a harmonious design.
- Large, elongated headlamps
- Prominent trapezoidal radiator grille
- Broad ‘upswept’ lower bumper with vertical accent lines
- Fender flares creating a sense of width
- Sleek glasshouse and C-pillar trim with Corolla Cross detailing
- Large elliptical taillamps with trapezoidal detailing and crease lines at the rear
The interior space echoes that of its Corolla Hatch and Sedan siblings. Here designers pursued an elegant design with excellent ergonomics and occupant space. The Corolla Cross has a premium feel with soft-touch elements and stylish metallic trim (grade dependant).
- Soft-touch materials
- Double-stitched accent detail
- Large centrally-mounted infotainment system
- Outstanding visibility
- Large door openings enhance utility
- Design prioritised spaciousness and occupant comfort
- Class-leading luggage capacity of 440 litres
- 60/40 split rear seat to aid convenience
As the Corolla Cross is poised to take Corolla into the ‘new age’, it is paramount that this model embraces the New-Energy philosophy. In recognition of this, we are proud to announce the inclusion of both conventional petrol and Hybrid Petrol-Electric powertrains in the Corolla Cross. This will also signal Toyota’s first Hybrid powertrain production on local turf.
Both powerplants are exclusively mated to Toyota’s latest generation CVT transmission, aiding powertrain efficiency while offering the user convenience of an automatic transmission.
- 1.8-litre VVTi 2ZR-FE engine
- 103 kW @ 6000 rpm & 173Nm @ 4400 rpm
- Prioritises refinement and strong mid-range torque delivery
- 6.8 litres per 100 km fuel index
- CO2 emissions = 154 g/km
- Paired with a CVT transmission
- Offers seven pre-programmed steps in manual mode
- 1.8-litre 2ZR-FXE Atkinson cycle petrol engine
- Petrol engine outputs of 72kW & 142Nm (pure ICE mode)
- Latest generation Hybrid powertrain with more a compact yet more efficient battery pack
- Smooth, immediate acceleration response
- Electric motor provides an instant torque boost aiding acceleration (similar to turbo/supercharger)
- Ultra-refined and quiet operation
- Dedicated EV mode where operation is restricted to near-silent, full-electric propulsion
- Automatically recharges the battery pack either via regenerative braking or by the petrol engine
- Closed-loop system means there is no need to “plug-In” to recharge the battery
- Electric motor outputs of 53kW and 163Nm (at full capacity)
- Total system output of 90kW
- 4.3 litre per 100 km fuel index & 98 g/km CO2 output
- Improved performance and fuel efficiency over conventional petrol model
The Grade Line-up
A three-grade strategy has been adopted, using Toyota’s familiar Xi, Xs and Xr nomenclature (also found on the Cross’ Corolla stablemates and other Toyota passenger vehicles).
- Xi denotes the entry-level model, which is aimed at customers seeking core-value motoring
- Mid-tier Xs adds additional comfort and convenience specification
- Flagship Xr grade receives upgraded exterior aesthetics, larger alloy wheels and added features
The Specification List
The Corolla Cross comes comprehensively equipped – no matter which grade you choose. The standard specification fare includes the following:
Xi standard specification:
- Colour coding, keyless entry, power-adjustable and auto-retractable exterior mirrors
- 17″ alloy wheels shod with 215/60/R17 tyres
- LED taillamps and automatic light control.
- Four cupholders, stowage binnacles, 60/40 fold-down rear seats and steering switches.
- Cruise Control, air-conditioning, 12-volt power outlet & all-round one-touch power windows
- Multi-Information Display (MID) for the driver
- Toyota Connect
Xs standard specification:
- Foglamps & Upgraded LED headlamps
- Park Distance Control (PDC) and rain-sensing wipers.
- Black Leather Interior
- Air-conditioning upgraded to dual-zone variant
- Multi-Information Display (MID) is upgraded to the TFT-type.
- Touchscreen audio with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- Two additional USB ports
- Reverse camera
- Toyota Connect
XR standard specification:
- 18″ alloy wheels shod with 225/50/R18 tyres
- Black and grey radiator grille
- Toyota Safety Sense
- Choice of Black or ‘Terra Rossa’ (Red) Leather interior
- LED interior Illumination
- Toyota Connect
The Safety Systems
All Corolla Cross models offer buyers a comprehensive safety and security package.
- Anti-theft system
- Auto door-lock
- ISOFIX anchor points
- Driver + Passenger + Side airbags across the board
- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
- ABS + EBD + Hill Assist Control
- Toyota Safety Sense which comprises:
- Adaptive Cruise Control,
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
- Lane Trace Assist (LTA)
- Pre-Collision System (PCS)
The Models & Pricing
As referenced, the Corolla Cross employs a two engine strategy (a 1.8-litre petrol engine and ultra-fuel-efficient 1.8-litre Hybrid). This in combination with the aforementioned three-grade strategy results in a five-model matrix:
- Corolla Cross 1.8 Xi – R 349 900
- Corolla Cross 1.8 Xs – R 390 100
- Corolla Cross 1.8 XR – R 425 400
- Corolla Cross 1.8 Hybrid Xs – R 413 000
- Corolla Cross 1.8 Hybrid XR – R 448 300
The Service Plan & Warranty
- A six-services/90 000 km service plan is standard on all Corolla Cross models
- Service intervals of 12-months/15 000 km
- A 3-year/100 000 km warranty is included
- Hybrid model carries an 8-year warranty on the Hybrid battery
- Additional service and warranty plan extensions can be purchased from their nearest Toyota dealer (220 outlets nationwide).