The first Maserati A6G 2000 was built from 1947 to 1956. The 6 indicates the engine type which was a straight six-cylinder and named in homage to Alfieri Maserati comes the A. The model made its debut exactly 70 years ago in February 1951.
The new model replaced the A6 1500 series sports car and its name referenced cast iron of its crankcase and its engine displacement of 2000 cc.
Italy’s market demanded more higher-performing cars and the need to increase power output resulted in Maserati converting the A6GCS 2.0-litre engine and the chassis of the A6.
The upgraded engine of 1 964.3 cc delivered an output of 60 to 74 kW with a top speed of 180 km/h. The A6G 2000 was launched at the Turin Motor Show in 1950 and was presented in two versions, a four-seater and two-door sedan by Pininfarina and a convertible designed by Pietro Frua.
Sixteen A6G 2000 models were manufactured in 1950 and 1951, there were nine with bodywork from Pininfarina, five convertibles and one coupe by Pietro Frua. Alfredo Vignale produced only one car, a two-toned A6G 2000 coupe with his signature sporty, stylish features.
Uniqueness, sportiness and Italian construction are all part of Maserati’s DNA and are still visible today in the carmakers’ new models. Maserati plans its future by keeping its past resemblance.