Over the festive season there is a lot more drinking and driving resulting in an increase in accidents this time of year.
You might feel like there is little harm in having a few drinks at a social event and then getting into your car to drive home. But this behaviour puts the safety of other drivers and pedestrians at risk, not to mention your own. Added to this, drivers who have too much alcohol in their systems will face the wrath of the law: being over the limit could mean facing up to six years in jail. We would like all of you to remain safe over the holidays and, with road safety in mind, we put together a guideline for drinking safely over the holidays.
How much can put you over the legal limit and how can drinking affect your driving:
- Co-ordination highly compromised, putting you at risk of having an accident, high levels of alcohol is a depressant making drivers drowsy.
- Reaction times much slower, slurred speech, blurred vision.
- Brain and nervous system affected, judgement and decision making impaired causing drivers to be more reckless and uninhibited.
- Heart rate speeds up, blood vessels expand. After only 1 unit your chances of being in an accident are doubled, according to the Automobile Association. And after 2 units (when some might still be at the legal limit) you are four times more likely to be in an accident.
- The rule of thumb is that you can have a maximum of one unit of alcohol per hour.
Also read: Pit stop drinking: a new trend in SA?
Drinking and driving endangers lives, Avis Fleet provides two good alternatives to keep you safe over the festive season:
Avis Point 2 Point
- An inner-city transfer services.
- With an English-speaking chauffeur.
- Available in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
- With a selection of vehicles to choose from: economy, sedan or MPV.
Avis Chauffeur Drive
- Reservations taken countrywide.
- With a choice of vehicles extended to luxury sedans, 4x4s and convertibles.
- Ideal for a transfer, or to have the vehicle and chauffeur at your leisure for a predetermined amount of time.
- Guide available on request.