The City of Cape Town offers an online service where residents can renew their motor vehicle licence online. The e-services portal also allows residents the opportunity to view their rates and services accounts, enter meter readings, pay accounts and more.
The City asks motorists to act proactively to ensure that the necessary arrangements are made and are making this easier to do, by allowing individuals to renew their vehicle licence online, where possible.
Renew your motor vehicle licence online by following these simple steps:
- Visit Motor Vehicle Licensing on The City of Cape Town’s website and then click on “register”.
- Once you’ve registered, you will receive an email with your temporary login and password.
- Log in to the e-services site and select the service activation tab.
- Next to the vehicle licensing field, click on “activate service”.
- Complete the once-off registration fields. Then upload a copy of your identity document/passport and proof of address and submit your application.
- Click on the motor vehicle licensing (top left of screen).
- Select “renew motor vehicle licence”.
- Complete the vehicle owner and vehicle registration details applicable and submit.
- You will receive an email with a payment advice, reflecting the licence fee due, the City’s bank details and a nine-digit reference number within two working days.
- You can make payment via Electronic Funds Transfer or bank deposit. Be sure to add the relevant vehicle licence renewal reference number.
After following the above steps to renew your vehicle licence online and making the payment, your new licence will be posted to the address you submitted, within a minimum of 14 days.
When applying to renew your motor vehicle licence online, make sure that you have the following:
- A valid email address.
- Electronic copies of your identity documents/passport and proof of address.
- All vehicle registration details.
For a complete list of acceptable proof of address and identification, visit the Motor Vehicle Licensing website.
Source: Constantia Ratepayers’ and Residents’ Association