As the holiday season approaches, many of us are making plans for our well-deserved breaks. Some of these arrangements include accommodation, flights and making sure things are taken care of at home such as your pets, security and turning your refrigerator on holiday mode.
Unfortunately, when a car is parked for a long time, this will drain the battery through the onboard computer systems, alarm and even the tracker. While these functions may not consume as much battery power as regular driving, you could come home to a car with a flat battery. This not only means an unnecessary jumpstart, but could also be the cause of bigger problems for your car.
What could happen to your car battery while you’re on holiday
Coming back to a flat battery is not just frustrating, it could also result in a costly battery or alternator replacement as jumpstarting your car can do the following:
- Weaken the battery as it has not been recharged
- Decrease the lifespan of the battery due to insufficient charge capacity to start the car
- Potentially damage the alternator (vital part of the mechanical starting process) as it will need to work twice as hard in order to power the battery
How to prevent your battery from taking its own holiday
The battery specialists recommend the following:
- Disconnect the battery terminals– the only way to prevent your battery from losing charge. Remember, you just need to disconnect the negative terminal
- Make use of a trickle charger – to give your battery a consistent charge, these can be bought at most hardware stores
- Have a family member or friend start the car every few days – or better yet, let them drive it, this will keep the battery charged
- Visit your local Battery Centre for specialist advice on preserving your pride and joy’s battery
Before activating your ‘Out Of Office’ and hitting relax mode, be sure to take care of your car’s battery.
Don’t let a flat battery get in the way of your next road trip. Fill out the form below and two readers could win a Raylite battery to the value of R2 500, as well as a free fitment, from Battery Centre:
Want to WIN a Raylite battery + free fitting worth R2500?
T’s & C’s:
[*This competition closed on 31 October 2019]
- Winner must be 18+
- Battery is valid for a year
- Value of the battery cannot be exchanged for money